Pic of the Day--Shironakafu Otome

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Shironakafu Otome

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--I am one of those people who uses the computer's spell checker a lot. However, not on my worst spelling day did things get so bad that I might have spelled "Masquerade" as "Shironakafu Otome", even if I had been in an oriental mood. So how do we explain the confusion over today's cultivar? There are several photos listed in the Hosta Library under the name Shironakafu Otome but the Library's data base does not contain the name. Neither does the AHS registration list. Lemke's data base lists the name but quickly says that the correct name for the plant is Masquerade.

However, the plants shown in the Hosta Library as Shironakafu Otome are certainly a different cultivar than Masquerade. Also, the plants we have been growing in our garden for many years as Masquerade have much more white tissue than the plant we received as a gift for our Friendship Garden labeled as Shironakafu Otome so local climate can not be the explanation.

I'm sure someone here can help clear up the confusion.

By any name, the plant we have been calling Shironakafu Otome is an attractive little thing, measuring 5x3 in both of its years here. The first photo is of Shironakafu Otome and the second photo is a group shot of our bed of Masquerades.

Registry - not registered as of Nov. 2012
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Shironakafu+Otome
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/s/shironakafuotome.html
Masquerade 6-25-07c 058.jpg
Otome Shironakafu 9-20-06c 060.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Wow, I never knew that Masquerade was anything like Otome Shironakafu.... :oops: .....I only know that it is a cute plant from Japan.....I got it up at House of Hosta years ago with PeggyB and heck if I knew it was going to be a hard to get hosta. I feel special.... :lol: :lol: Enjoy Hank! I am looking for pictures and if you could see my files..... :eek: ... :lol: :lol:
Attachments
s 175.jpg
This one is in early spring...
This one is in early spring...
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi--I was wondering if you were going to notice the Pic of the Day. :lol: Thanks again for the nice plant. :D Your mature clump sure is attractive and distinctive.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

After I saw Peggy's Otome Shiranakafu, I had to have one too. It reminds me of a little Whirlwind. But I couldn't find it this year, no tag, nothing. :( Yours looks great, Kathleen.
Attachments
OtomeShiranakafu.jpg
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:hmmm: 3 different hostas in one POTD :-?
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Pia, no not 3.... :lol:

Whirlwind? A tad. :lol: You lost yours Mary Ann? Awwww.... :snow:
DryGulch

Yow!

Post by DryGulch »

None of these really look like the same hosta to me. I guess the first could be a juvenile of the first, but the second and third? THe second of Masquerade is very impressive, lots of white, a nice flower, it doesn't appear bother by edge burn. Does it have good substance?
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Nice Masquerades above. It was one of my early Hostas, but I've always found it to be a slow grower for me. Also very late to emerge in the spring. So late, that the first spring I had it coming back, I thought I'd lost it and bought another.

The other (sorry forgot the name) is new to me, but I think I might have to add it to the list.

Ann
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Well, when W. George Schmid writes about the genus Hosta, hostaholics the world over should read his words and exclaim the truth of them.

On the hostapix list, where I also post the POTD, and in a second PM to me, Schmid responded to my posting about my confusion over the ID of this plant. The explanation is actually quite simple.

The proper name for this plant is Shironakafu Otome, not the reverse as I had it.

Schmid explained that in Japanese the word "Otome" means "venusta" in English. The Japanese word "Shironakafu" means white-centered in English. So, the correct name for this plant is Shironakafu Otome.

Schmid also pointed out that the plant English speakers call "Masquerade" would be called "Shironakafu Koba" in Japanese which translates to "white-centered sieboldii".

So, the plant in my posting has venusta parentage and Masquerade has sieboldii parentage.

The plant in the Hosta Library listed as "Otome Shironakafu" is actually a Masquerade and Schmid suggested that the Library change its listing.

In the information below, it helps to know that in Japanese, the word for "hosta" is "giboshi".

Shironakafu Otome = white-centered H. venusta
Shironakafu Koba = white-centered H. sieboldii
Shironakafu = white centered
Koba Giboshi = H. sieboldii
Otome Giboshi = H. venusta

There it is. Simple. Why didn't I think of that in the first place? :lol:
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Ya know what Hank? I get this durn hosta's name screwed up also.....When I sent a picture to have it in the HL, they e-mailed back saying the name was wrong....so I THOUGHT I reversed it.....now I don't know what I have on my tag outside.... :roll: ....I THINK I have it spelled Shironakafu Otome in my hosta list (I'll have to go look).....shoot.....I don't know...:lol:.....just enjoy it! :lol: :lol: :wink:
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Hank,

Thanks for the fascinating lesson in the language of Hostas.

Ann
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Kathleen--When you sent me the plant for our Friendship Garden, you included a name tag that had it as Otome Shironakafu.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:hmm:.......Seeee, I'm still mixed up! :lol:
New Topic Post Reply