Pic of the Day--Limey Lisa

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Limey Lisa

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--The Great Guru of Giboshi, AKA W. George Schmid, managed to clear up the confusion over the proper classification and naming of the plant Shironakafu Otome that was a recent Pic of the Day. That clarification required a lesson in the Japanese language as well as hosta taxonomy.

Unfortunately, the confusion over today's plant, Limey Lisa, is much more common place in the world of hosta hobbyists. The size listed for Limey Lisa in the Hosta Library's data base is "dwarf". That means the plant's height should be less than 4 inches. However, the information provided in Lemke's listing of registration information is that the plant's mature size should be a much larger 26x12. The comments about the plant in Zilis' book seems to agree with Lemke's information. What I can say for sure is that the plant we have growing in our Friendship Garden measured 5x2 in 2006 and 6x3 this year. I will let you decide whether our plant's leaves are more "heart shaped" like the Library's description or "spoon shaped" as Lemke's listing would have it.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... mey%20Lisa

MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Limey+Lisa

Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/l/limeylisa.html
limey Lisa 6-25-07c 072.jpg
limey Lisa 6-25-07c 072.jpg (33.08 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
Last edited by Hank Zumach on Nov 14, 2007 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Once up on a time I figured out there were differences in the coloration depending on sun and shade and in the leaf shape depending on the age of the plant.
Once up on a time I thought all the confusion was gone

Have to accept the words of Socrates: The more I know, the more I know I know nothing :-? :-? :-? Have to be a better translation :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cute little hosta, do not THINK I have ever heard about it before :wink:

Thank you Hank for bringing me so much knowledge.. or do I have to say a tad more knowled, so I can know I am stupid a bit more :-?

Better stop now
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

'Limey Lisa'... :roll: I would have culled this one at the 4 leaf stage.

:lol:
yardmom

Post by yardmom »

I have Limey Lisa in a couple of spots in the garden. Mine is definately in the 'dwarf' category though I don't know if it would qualify for todays mini qualification, or if it is on the list. I think it is small enough.

It's a good grower, and nice when it comes up in the spring.

It turns greener as the season progresses. Here it is with Blue Mouse Ears in August.
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

Another Zumber introduction, this is a cute little thing, bright yellow in spring turning green by mid summer. I like it!
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

I tried to post this yesterday when I should have been doing something else and I guess the computer knew that because it didn't go properly.

I've had Limey Lisa since September of 2005 when I received it from a friend in a trade. I've found it a good grower. Never gets very high, but does indeed spread width-wise. The slugs do seem to like it.
Here it is near the end of July 2006. Just for reference, the marker is about 2 1/2" across at the top.
Here it is near the end of July 2006. Just for reference, the marker is about 2 1/2" across at the top.
Limey-Lisa-s_07-21.jpg (38.44 KiB) Viewed 2061 times
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

For some reason, the second picture didn't post. I'll have to work on what I'm doing wrong. (I figured it out. The pic wasn't quite small enough)
Here is it in mid June 2007. I have a picture of it a month later and it was still blooming.
Here is it in mid June 2007. I have a picture of it a month later and it was still blooming.
New Topic Post Reply