Pic of the Day--Pandora's Box

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Pandora's Box

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--There are some hosta varieties that are often described as "eye catching". What is remarkable about Pandora's Box is that "eye catching" definitely applies to it, even though it's listed mature size is only 10x4. If there was a list of the most popular hostas listed by size, I'm sure Pandora's Box would be at or near the top for smaller cultivars. The plant growing in our Friendship Garden had me a bit worried when we first planted it in 2006. It did not have much white tissue and I thought it might be reverting to its all green sport parent, Baby Bunting. But this past summer it came up showing off a normal amount of white. Another plant we have had for eight years in a different bed has had the same slow growth rate that this plant is showing. This plant has measured about 5x3 in each of its two years.

Registry - http://hostaregistrar.org/detail.php?id ... %27s%20Box
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Pandora%27s+Box
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/p/pan.html
s Box friendship garden 6-25-07c 002.jpg
s Box g 9-20-06c 073.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

Hank, there is a list! The 2006 AHS Mini Hosta popularity poll has Pandora's Box listed as #1, as voted by AHS members, and I agree. :P Wish I had a pic of mine, but I can't find one.
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi--I should have looked to see if there was one. Laziness does have its down-side, I guess. :lol:
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Why...Rox did it :lol:

I know.. have to wash my dirthy fingers :oops:

In a few minutes :wink:

Mine is bigger than yours :o

It is the first time I can say that about Pandoras Box.. .... it actually grow for me in the new grit pot... and I ment it as a sign of mercy when I planted the hard to see one eyed plant ,.. never trust a hosta
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

My Pandora's Box looked normal in this pic in May

but lost some the white by the time I took this pic Oct. 5th.

Is this normal or is it doing something weird?
yardmom

Post by yardmom »

Opps! I'm afraid my love for minis must be showing by now! :oops:
I don't have a good picture from this year, but here is my Pandoras Box in the garden. PB starts out white and stays white all the way to the end, with no burn out! Nice!

ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

I've had mine since 2004 and it's growth has been slow (I've moved it a few times which might have an effect.) It DOES, however, bloom for me. Here is is last July. I've not experienced the difference in the amount of white.
Pandoras_Box-0716sx.jpg
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Debbie--That looks like a sport to me. And a very nice looking one at that. :D That looks like it would something that Chris might be interested in putting on the market.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
yardmom

Post by yardmom »

Maybe Debbie's will come up with more white next spring like yours did, Hank. It is a cute little thing with the narrow white stipe. I wouldn't think it was a sport if started out with all the white early in the season and then changed, but you never know!
baja220

Post by baja220 »

I just went out to take a close look at it. All the white is just a thin stripe. So, I made a note in my data base to what it next spring to see if it's sporting.
I have pics with the wide center on May 18 and June 15. Thin center on Sept 4 and Oct 5. So sometime in July and Aug it changed and I didn't get a pic. :roll:
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi--I'm going to send a PM to Chris and ask him to chip in here.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I don't really know what might be up with Debbie's plant. Sometimes heat can cause a middle variegated plant to green up, but not sure why it would leave a thin stripe like that.

You would have to grow it consistently like that for a while, and maybe even in different gardens to know if it is stable or not.
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Debbie--I'm sure Chris is correct. So,...follow his advise and send me a large division next spring to see how it reacts to the conditions here. :lol:
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Hank, you are shameless.
Debbie...that's very cool. Let us know how it looks in the spring!
My Pandora's Box went dormant very early this year. We've been in a drought pretty much since the end of August, and I didn't water that bed enough. I'm hoping it comes back okay next year.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Linda--Shameless? Me? Of course I am.

Haven't you reached the point in your hostaholism where you have given up all pretense of still having some control? :lol: :lol:
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
baja220

Post by baja220 »

:lol: at Hank!!! I'll put that reminder in my database too Hank. :lol: I think we're all shameless!!
New Topic Post Reply