Pic of the Day--Blue Mouse Ears

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Blue Mouse Ears

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--I have lost track of just how many hosta varieties are available now. I believe it is in the vicinity of 4000. With so many varieties available, it is easy to imagine why some have trouble passing the "10 foot rule". That certainly is not the case with today's plant, Blue Mouse Ears. Oh, you might have a bit of a problem spotting the plant at all from a distance since it is such a tiny thing. But once it comes into view, the hostaholic is sure to recognize it. We have had Blue Mouse Ears since 2002, growing in a spot that gets mostly filtered light. It has grown very steadily, but very slowly, even for a plant with a registered mature size of 9x5. In our garden it has measured 5x2, 6x3, 7x3, 7x4, 11x5, and 14x5. The photos are from 2003, 2004 and 2006.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... use%20Ears
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Blue+Mouse+Ears
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/b/bluemouseears.html
Blue Mouse Ears 6-27-06c 042.jpg
Blue Mouse Ears 7-7-04c.JPG
Blue Mouse Ears 6-26-03c 034.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

That last pic looks the way BME is supposed to look when mature. I have two of them, and they've grown steadily too. For a little plant, it seems to be pretty hardy and sturdy. Phyllis
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I love BME!! And anyone who sees it here likes it too....Great last pic, Hank! Thanks!! :snow:
hummingbird
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by hummingbird »

Yup a darling lil cutie !
"Friends are as elusive as rainbows"
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Yup, you just want to pinch it, it's so cute!

Laura
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

I got BME last year as a 3-eyed plant, presumably TC. I divided it in three (surprise, surprise) and one of those had FIVE eyes this spring, another 3 and the last remained a single. For me it's been a very pleasant surprise in terms of its vigour, I can't wait to see what spring brings for these little guys, without doubt one of my favourites.
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

One of my favorites. Mine is in a spot I pass by frequently and I cherished it each time I saw it. It has definitely paid me back the money I spent on it! Oh, and the flowers..... !
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

I KNOW! Aren't the flowers just the cutest, such a nice, unique cupped flower.... Tried to get some seeds off mine this year, but no such luck. Suggestions have been made that TC'd BME does not set seed easily, whereas OS apparently does set seed more readily. Mine's definitely a TC....but I'll keep trying in years to come.
P6220714.jpg
P6220714.jpg (21.35 KiB) Viewed 3335 times
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
mum2knm

Post by mum2knm »

Oh another cutie to add to my wish list!
Sabrina
New hosta addict
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I just love this sturdy little cutie! The scapes, flowers, leaves.....they are all in such wonderful proportion. Definitely a winner. Love that last pic of it, Hank! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Hank I read that it grows into a small to medium size hosta. Is this accurate? I have mine with other mini's for now and wondered if the time will come when it will need to be moved.

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Molly--I have not heard of that before. It seems very unlikely considering how it has grown in the gardens of the folks who have posted messages here.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

It is a great plant with a lot of appeal, even to the non-collectors :D

Yes, this is not really considered a mini hosta any longer as most untouched plants are growing larger than a mini. It will likely be a small hosta, but I really don't see it becoming a medium sized clump. My oldest plant is getting pretty big but I haven't taken any measurements. I don't think it could fall into the mini category any longer, though.

When it was registered it was listed as a second generation division from a 12 year old plant, so I believe that means it was a division of a division that was 9" x 5".

There are a lot of TC sports coming out of this one, and the Deckerts want the ones they have sanctioned to retain the "mouse ears" moniker so the names will all be in the family (Green Mouse Ears, Royal Mouse Ears, Frosted Mouse Ears, Holy Mouse Ears). Hans Hansen/Shady Oaks also introduced a chartreuse centered sport they found in TC as H. 'Cat and Mouse' that is being released this year (I'm sure you've all seen these in various catalogs - we hope to start offering them in 2009).
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Thanks Hank and Chris,

Seems I will eventually have to move it to a different spot since it will have outgrown it's allotted spot at some point!

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Think it is just the cutest hosta in the World... others are more impressive, special and... but this is the cutest :wink:

Thanks for the lovely pics every one

Did you know this one grow fine in 95% dark shade :o I do not dare to put in the last 5% caurse it might get some reflection light

I tell you I saw it in the spring... but then June and Halcyon had a growing game...and by midsummer.. you had to lift leafs to see it... I hardly dared the first time... but it is growing fine..lacking a bit of wax, but why should it make wax.. it is perfectly protected :wink:

No flowers on that one ..darn I need space or find new homes for some hostas :roll:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply