Pic of the Day--Sugar Plum Fairy

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Sugar Plum Fairy

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--I made a decision to buy a new computer and ran into a number of problems, having to do with Bill Gates' curse on the world the new, unimproved operating system, Windows Vista. So, after several days away, I'm back with my more or less daily description of one of the hosta varieties growing in our garden.

I got the plant, Sugar Plum Fairy as a gift in 2000. It has been a very nice, little variety, particularly if you are like me in enjoying unruly appearing plants. It is stoloniferous and quickly gained its mature size. For someone willing to do a number of divisions, this plant could become an interesting miniature edger. There has been no slug damage. It's size has been right around 12x5, close to Zilis' listed size of 10x4.
Attachments
Sugar Plum Fairy 6-26-03c 214.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Hank, and welcome back! I had been searching past posts to see if there was any kind of clue to your absence and couldn't find it so was getting the search party ready ;)

Why do you think this little hosta got its name? Does it have interesting flowers to go with it :hmm:
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi--I'm one of those people who don't pay much attention to the hosta flowers. Betty has a penchant for cutting them down almost as fast as the petioles show up. The Library does say that SPF has purple flowers, sometimes striped. I don't have a clue as to how it got its name.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Glad you're back, Hank! Sorry about the computer problems.... :roll:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
toomanyanimals
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by toomanyanimals »

Hey Hank, I like Betty! I cut those flowers down too. :wink:
Be not simply good; be good for something.
Henry David Thoreau
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I'm not usually a fan of the hostas with the longish leaves, but the unruly leaves on that one are really interesting looking! Cute name too. That one might have to go on my wish list. :???:
And glad to see you back, Hank. DH and I will be shopping for a new computer soon and then a new internet provider. Hopefully we'll have them both and have them working fine by spring, but I am such a procrastinator. :lol:
Last edited by newtohosta-no more on Jan 02, 2008 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Still :evil: :evil: :evil: vista after 8 month... you have to be speial... know you are :wink:

do not think I have ever heared about that litle cutie before.... could be interesting :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Well, I'm glad the sugar plum fairy brought you back in time for the new year.

Laura
:D
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Good to see you back, Hank. I've missed you and your posts.
I got a new puter a couple weeks ago. So far, not too many problems with Vista. I downloaded hours and hours of updates right away, and so far, so good. I haven't tried to do much with it yet. Finally discovered how to make my new files, and I think I know how to get the files from my old computer on to this one...but then again, I haven't tried it yet!
DD was telling me that Vista has a really nice photo program, but I haven't tried it out yet.
Looking forward to more of your Pic of the Day posts.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Thanks for the warm welcome back, everyone. :D
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Well, I guess I need to get in here more often..... :oops: Sorry you have been having problems with the Vista....My mom has it but hasn't mentioned any problems....

Glad your okay!!! :cool:
Carol W
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Carol W »

Sugar Plum Fairy is sure nice! Another one I just might have to add to my wish list!

As for Bill Gates his Vista trying to copy Apple software... why is he afraid more people are turn to buy an Apple Computers? Yeap good old MS have us test and fix for free as much of WinXP hardware, software and so before it reaches the market but we don't get to keep or get a free finished copy after, heck no pay full price like everyone else. Then ask us software beta tester if we will help test Vista which was called a different name then, but this time MS want us to pay $300. to test it for a year or more and after the testing is done and it hits the market we must pay for the finished marketed Vista software at once again full price. Because our tested software now will not work and shut down. Bend over!!! Yes pay us MS for the honor of working out as much as the kinks so it's market, then we can have the rest of the public finish the beta testing. Let see the big Service patch for Vista is due soon 1 year give or take after it was sold on shelves. Oh and don't forget Vista Home has 5 years 4/10/2012 of support so in ? years you'll be out of luck if you still have Vista and need to reformat your harddrive sure it's patches will still hopefully be on the MS web site. Just might take you a while to locate it, in fact the best idea would be to find it now and download the update/patches every month after tyhe first Tuesday of the month while it's life span and save it to a disk. But XP prof had 10 years of support so XP users still have to 4/8/2014 that MS has to provide software fixes and updates. But even the XP Home 4/8/2014 has a longer support then Vista Ultimate 4/10/2012. http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifeselectindex#O

I'm sorry, I couldn't help it!
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Pic of the Day--Sugar Plum Fairy

Post by redcrx »

Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
New Topic Post Reply