Pic of the Day--King Tut

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--King Tut

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--King Tut is a very nice, bright plant but it does have problems with the 10 foot rule. It has been in our garden since 2000, getting a couple of hours of mid-day sun. It has had a very good growth rate for a Tokudama offspring, going from 15x11 in 2001 to 23x9, 31x13, 38x18, 40x19, 34x21 (herbicide), 43x17 in 2007. That puts it right in line with Zilis' listing of 46x19. As can be expected with Tokudama offspring, slugs leave it alone.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... King%20Tut
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/King+Tut
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/k/kingtut.html

The pix are from 2002, 2005, and 2007.
King Tut 6-25-07c 005.jpg
King Tut 62605c.JPG
King Tut 6-24-02c 198.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
loisf

Post by loisf »

Hi, Hank. I love my King Tut, too. I was just walking through the gardens at my hosta retailer when he started pulling on my pantleg, begging me to take him home. I did, of course. I love its color and substance and the way it brightens the garden. I have been trying to post a photo of the area of my garden in which he lives, but to no avail. I have to give up for now, but I'll try again later. Thanks for your Pics-of-the-Day. I really enjoy them. Lois
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:cry: :cry: :cry:

It do not like me :cry: Neither do Zounds :cry: :cry: :cry:

But then someone told me: You can either grow King Tut, Sounds or Glory ... Got Glory and it sure grows wild :D

Still having a hard time accepting :lol:

Yours is great :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I think my Zounds is really King Tut. What do you all think? I've never be able to capture its true color. It glows.
Attachments
Zounds 8.jpg
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Mary Ann,

Although I've never been able to grow Zounds I can grow King Tut and I don't think that's what you have. Don't really think you have Zounds either, from looking at pictures of it. Your plant has thinner leaves, and a bit of a wavy edge, plus not quite the right leaf shape or corrugation.

Wish I could help more. Looks pretty, though. You might have to check the flowers next year to see if they have any distinct characteristics and then we might be able to help pin it down.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I have an affection for King Tut. It is one of the hostas that I got early on in my addiction. I've always liked the yellow/gold ones and the fact that it is a Tok makes it even more desirable to me. It may not pass the 10ft. rule ,but it's still a winner in the garden ,imo. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
toymr2mk2

Post by toymr2mk2 »

I agree with Joan. King Tut is one of my favorites here too. I really like that it stays nice and bright throughout the season without any greening out and is vigorous. As a bonus it is pretty fertile for me also and I am thinking I want to try some crosses with it next year.
Art
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

'King Tut'

Post by thehostagourmet »

Art, it's a great pollen parent. Doesn't set seed real well for me. Maybe one or two pods a year is all I get.

George
George
toymr2mk2

Post by toymr2mk2 »

George,
Mine has never failed to set pods for me. Some years more so than others but always some. I have a couple of seedlings that would probably have been culled by most others but I have a liking for the yellow/golds so I kept them. So far they have been developing nicely. I will definately try some of its pollen next year. Thanks for that bit of insight.
Art

PS.....Hank thanks for the POTD I really enjoy the tours of your gardens.......
Wheasie

Post by Wheasie »

'Zounds' - that goes on my list of loser hostas along with 'Dream Weaver' and 'Tattoo'

Wheasie
Wheasie

Post by Wheasie »

....and 'Pathfinder'
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Hank, it's nice to see a pic of the a post-herbicide hosta. It looks like this one recovered nicely.
I have Zounds, King Tut, and Glory, and I must say, I like them all.
Mary Ann, whatever your plant is, it's looking good. Could it be Glory, if it's not either of the others?
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

I REALLY like the color of this one - a true rich "gold" (with brassy undertones) rather than a yellow. A big part of my job as a graphic designer involves intricate color-matching, so I am pretty finicky about color. This one is just perfect next to Paradigm...the gold in both is a perfect match. Most folks might not notice the difference - but if you really want to see the difference between gold and yellow in hosta, plant a King Tut near almost any other "yellow"...and it will be very obvious. King Tut is the only true "gold" hosta I have...does anyone know of any others?

I have had mine about 6-7 yrs - grows a bit slow but well worth the wait! Divided it a couple years ago and now have a 9-eye and a 7-eye. Shouldn't have divided it yet, but really needed a piece over next to the big Paradigm!

wanda
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

Mary Ann's yellow

Post by thehostagourmet »

Mary Ann, your plant looks like 'Glory' to me too.

George
George
New Topic Post Reply