Pic of the Day--Sunlight Child

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Sunlight Child

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Sunlight Child was a gift this last summer. It is planted in a spot that might get a couple of hours of midday sun. This dwarf sized variety has red tissue at the base of the petioles. Our plant measured 10x3.
Attachments
Sunlight Child 6-25-07c 023.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
jgh

Post by jgh »

Here is the description from the Shady Oaks catalog. Hideko Gowen was informally adopted by the Benedicts and has many Benedict hostas, some released and some not. What might be considered a somewhat odd name makes more sense when you know the background. This one has a special place due to its name... but I think it will also be a good little yellow hosta.
------------------
R.H. Benedict, 1991) Mini This choice minature from the late Dr. Benedict has been passed around for over a decade, but has always remained rare. Little shiny yellow leaves comprise a nice tiny clump that is typed by lavender flowers in early summer. This hosta works well in the rock garden or a trough where its interesting form may be fully appreciated. 'Sunlight Child' is Hideko Gowen's English translation of her Japanese name.
moongirl

Post by moongirl »

That is a real sweetie, and knowing the story makes it even more special. Thank you both!
Kat
moongirl
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Pic of the Day--Sunlight Child

Post by redcrx »

Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
irawon
USDA Zone: 5b

Re: Pic of the Day--Sunlight Child

Post by irawon »

What a great little plant. The flower scapes are perfectly proportioned. I didn't take a pic this year. I ended up pruning my Japanesee Waterfall Maple so it would get some light.
Attachments
September 7, 2011, just planted
September 7, 2011, just planted
New Topic Post Reply