Can we talk about Jade Cascade?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
moongirl

Can we talk about Jade Cascade?

Post by moongirl »

I have never 'met' a Jade Cascade' and I definitely like the look of it.
Can we talk?

Kat

Hosta Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... %20Cascade
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Jade+Cascade
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/j/jadecascade.html
moongirl
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Great name. does anyone have a picture of it?

Ann
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I have several pics, but they're still on my other computer. Had to work on the business stuff first, and I haven't gotten to my pics yet.
I really, really like Jade Cascade. It's hard to take your eyes off a well-grown clump of it. Mine was huge, but took a big hit from the late freeze last year. I'm hoping that it bounces back this year.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
hummingbird
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by hummingbird »

I recall several years ago visiting Maureen in Ottawa and she had a huge clump of this beauty. Absolutely stunning in person....not many pics ever do it justice, my only regrett was not getting a piece of it from her when she offered. I did however order one last spring, and hope it does well this year. 8-)
Hope yours bounces back nicely Linda.
"Friends are as elusive as rainbows"
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Here is a photo I took at another Hosta collector's garden this summer. Jade Cascade is on the left. I liked it so much I bought one when I found it at a nursery.

The leaves are very long and elegant.

Laura
jadecascadeand warparty at jodys.jpg
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

I have two 'Jade Cascade',both about the same size.I planted the first one in my back yard,and when I saw how beautiful and graceful it was, I put one in front of my house.I do get comments about it,mostly asking what kind of plant is it?It stays looking good all season,I love it!
This Hosta will not diaappoint you.
Rocco.
garden photos 041.jpg
garden photos 044.jpg
"No occupation is so delightful to me as the culture of the earth,and no culture comparable as that of the garden" (Thomas Jefferson) 1811
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

Nice pics Rocco! :P

Linda, I feel your pain. Mine wouldn't have been spectacular yet last year anyway, but getting frozen didn't help matters a bit either!

I just have a leaf pic taken last summer at the Midwest regional garden tours. I really wanted to take a plant pic, but so many people were in the way the whole time... :lol:
I never had the opportunity. I did spot a Katydid though on a leaf! It still gives an idea of how arching and graceful this hosta is. It just takes a few years to get "tall" enough to display the leaves well.
Attachments
Jade Cascade.jpg
moongirl

Post by moongirl »

Whoa, what awesome pictures. No one seems to be saying anything at all negative about this plant.
I'm sold! And I'm glad I asked!
Anyone else have drooly pics?

Kat
moongirl
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Jade Cascade

Post by Marlys »

During the 2005 National AHS Convention there was a Jade Cascade in one of the gardens that would knock your socks off!

I was astounded & held in awe of that huge, beautifully vase shaped, draping elongated leaves, dark-dark green. It was just the best thing in the entire garden. I could not stop guawking at it. I took pictures & tried to find them for you but they are temporarily misplaced (lost).

MM
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Jade Cascade

Post by Marlys »

I found the picture but I'm not sure about resizing. We'll see how it works out.

MM
Attachments
jc4.jpg
jc4.jpg (70.29 KiB) Viewed 4528 times
moongirl

Post by moongirl »

I just drooled on my keyboard, lol.
moongirl
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

This is the one I first 'met' - stopped me right in my tracks! Saw it at Schmid's - it was a freshly-planted division so the form is more visible. It was about 3.5 feet tall. Just love that form!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12156004@N06/1246649893/

This is a picture of mine from 2003. I had been talking here about how much I wanted one, and a VERY special person here sent me her whole plant in a Secret Trade! http://www.flickr.com/photos/12156004@N ... 688434238/

There are two pictures of Jade Cascade in group shots from 2005 at the following link. In one titled "05CenterEntranceLeft4", note the railroad tie coming into the pix from the left. At the far right end of the tie is Maekawa, slightly left/behind that is Jade Cascade and slightly left/behind that is Vim & Vigor. In the picture titled "05Maekawa, Jade Cascase is in the upper left.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12156004@N06/

Mine is finally starting to put on some size faster. This year it was 25 eyes! The leaves drape ever so elegantly from those tall petioles.

Does anyone know if there is a streaked or variegated version of Jane Cascade?

wanda
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Wanda make a point of posting a new picture, I'd love to see a mature clump of it this summer!
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

These were taken in the garden of Chub Harper at the 2007 Midwest Regionals :D
Attachments
jadecascade.JPG
jadecascade2.JPG
jadecascade1.JPG
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Lovely and thank you all for the great pics... helped on a grey , windy, rainy day :wink:

Got it in 2005 and planted it in a tall pot last spring, it is so beautiful cascading down the top of the pot.

The only problem I can see with this hosta is, it will do best- in my mind- in an raised area for it only.
Do not like dirthy hosta leaves... but have them :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
hostaaddict

Post by hostaaddict »

Definitely one of my favorites!
IMG_0345.JPG
jody

Post by jody »

Definately one of my favorites... I have several of them.

The one in MD was planted in 02... I don't think I have a current pic but this is a pic from 04.
jadecascade (Small).jpg
fullofit

Post by fullofit »

Looking at my pictures, last year was a total wash for me. I did find a 2004 of Jade Cascade, and this year I'll definately be out there with my camera updating all my hosta pics.
Jade Cascade 5-23-04.jpg
CHAR (wild4flowers)
Happiness is making a bouquet
of those flowers within reach !
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

I had one that died in a pot when I moved, need to replace it.
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

I think a nice chunky round pot with a bit of height to it would be perfect for this hosta. You could even hide an ugly pot with it's beautiful leaves!
New Topic Post Reply