'Angel Eyes', 'Jewel Of the Nile', 'Olive Bailey Langdon'

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Ed_B
USDA Zone: 4b

'Angel Eyes', 'Jewel Of the Nile', 'Olive Bailey Langdon'

Post by Ed_B »

'Angel Eyes', 4 years

Hosta Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... gel%20Eyes
MyHostas Database - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Angel+Eyes
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/a/angel.html
'Olive Bailey Langdon'
'Olive Bailey Langdon'
Hosta Olive Baily Langdon [].JPG (51.9 KiB) Viewed 2180 times
'Jewel Of the Nile', 3 years from Hallson's
'Jewel of the Nile'
'Jewel of the Nile'
'Olive Bailey Langdon' 3 years
'Angel Eyes'
'Angel Eyes'
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Another batch of beautiful hostas from the hosta rookie. :D Angel Eyes is one I haven't seen too much of - nice hosta. Looks like you've got an all gold sport in your JOTN.

Your Olive Bailey Langdon isn't as old as mine & looks to be larger. Mine is in pretty deep shade. How much light does yours get, Ed?
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
LucyGoose

'Jewel of the Nile'

Post by LucyGoose »

Nice pictures Ed!

and if anyone wants my JOTN, they can have it..... :evil: .....I think this will be at least the 3RD, I will say it again....3RD time I will have to dig this to get that solid eye out of it.......this is too big a hosta to keep doing this..... :x
Pic's 209.jpg
Pic's 234.jpg
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Well Lucy - yours is still nicer than mine that just has 1 or 2 divisions after 4 years. :wink:

But I know what you mean - I was just looking at the all gold division in the middle of my Alex Summers. Alex looks great again this year & I have him exactly where I want him so if I do any removal it will be Dr. Dave's method of just snapping the leaves off at the base. :???: :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Now there is an idea..... :lol: :lol:
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I knew you'd like it. :P
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

Go for it Lucy! I've resorted to it this year on my streaked plants. I don't know how it is going to work out yet, but I just snapped those solid ones off. I am wondering thou if they will just send out solid shoots at the sides of the snapped off eye.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Okay, I will......can't loose......I will just use that spot for others in the holding bed....:lol:.....prime space around here.....I'll take a picture after I snap the leaves......:-)
Ed_B

'Rhapsody' and others

Post by Ed_B »

Hi Ren, Kathleen

Ren the 'Olive Bailey Langdon' gets a little morning sun, then dappled shade the rest of the day.

Am I going to have to dig up 'Jewel of The Nile'?
If I understood right are you suggesting that I just snap off the gold leaves?
Will this eventually prevent the gold leaf sport from coming back?
Now Ren if I wasn't such a newbie maybe I would know some of these things :o

The 'Angel Eyes' came from one of our plant runs that the wife and I plan every May as a get away mini vacation. I saw it the year before and when I looked it up in the Hosta Library I found that may be the same as 'Guardian Angel', both discovered by two different people in the same year and possibly the same hosta.

So I bought it, figured mine would be more rare than 'Guardian Angel', and maybe even a different plant all together. I guess I will have to wait for the final determination in the Hosta Library

The Hosta in first pic is, 'Rhapsody', 4 years
Hosta Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... y=Rhapsody
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Rhapsody
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/r/rhapsodya.html
Hosta road bed (3) [].JPG
The hosta bed in second pic is around 10 years old, 'Olive Bailey Langdon' is in the bottom of pic, replaced one that died.
Hosta older bed (5) [].JPG
Ren
The last picture is from my 4 year old road/mailbox bed, I remember you telling me I needed more hostas because of how far apart I had them spaced, what do you think now? :wink:
'Rhapsody'
'Rhapsody'
Ed
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Ed - you just need to stop playing with the grandkids so much and start paying more attention in hosta~class. :wink:

In another recent post, Dr. Dave suggested removing the leaves of the sport rather than digging up the entire plant. I think that would probly be a good solution for JOTN since it sports to other things fairly often. Just look at all of the other interesting leaves you have on it now. If it were me, I'd probly leave it just for the sake of interest since my sports are few & far between here. :wink: As long as it's not taking over the whole plant, I think you're OK.

After I took another look at Angel Eyes, the :idea: went off & I remembered that it was said to be very similar to Guardian Angel. So far you're doing OK - it's definitely not as common as GA. I like the mini vacation/plant buying trip idea a lot!! :D I plan to do just that later this week at the national convention. :P

Rhapsody is gorgeous!! 8-) And your curving garden is very nice!! :D But I can still see some mulch in your last pic so there's definitely room for a few more. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Ed_B

Post by Ed_B »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ren nothing wrong with a little mulch showing, just like a gal showing a little knee :wink: it adds to the allure, we shall see in years 5 & 6 if anything is still showing :(

I will leave the JOTN alone then, wait and see.
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

On JOTN, I have divided off the gold part because I like gold Hostas, and plant separately. Not sure I will go to that trouble this year... Pulling out the solid leaves will let the other ones grow better, make bigger crown material, and compete for domination of the clump.
I pullled solid leaves off some streaky ones already, because I don't want to set back the plant when I have potential to get flowers and seed later.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Well you certainly took that remark in a direction I never anticipated, Ed. :o :???:

:lol:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Lucy, your JOTN is a great looking plant the way it is, there's more DGJ than JOTN in the crown. Maybe when you dug it before, you didn't slice off enough of the crown or the dormant buds to eliminate the gold? Snapping off a leaf or two or even an eye works, but it appears your entire crown is involved IMHO.

With the soil so saturated now, I've been moving and dividing a lot of stuff, ideal conditions for transplanting.
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
New Topic Post Reply