Maya Swingtime.. excellent in a container!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Maya Swingtime.. excellent in a container!

Post by doublemom2 »

I have this beauty in a large planter on my patio, near two potted japanese maples. I LOVE the way this looks in a container, and it gets a fair amount of sun. The flower scapes are really tall, can't wait to see them opened up :)

Hosta Registry - not registered
MyHostas Database - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Maya+Swingtime
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/m/mayaswingtime.html

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Very nice, Andi. :D I like those looonng pointed leaf tips. 8-) How long have you had this one?
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Mine sucks......Can I say that word??

Yours is pretty......I have moved it a couple times giving it a couple years in each spot.....It is still small.....a big disappointment..... :(
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Beautiful! You know I've never thought of putting hostas into planters (DUH!!). :-?
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
scrappinmusicmommy

Post by scrappinmusicmommy »

Looks great! I'll have to think about containers too! :D
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I killed a lot in pots over wintering them.....I am not good..... :oops: ......I will take a picture of mine tonight......and I have had it a few years.....can't remember exactly, but 4'ish?

Wish mine looked like yours..... 8-)
fenceberry

Post by fenceberry »

I've had mine 3 or 4 years, too, and I agree with Lucy, mine sucks. I moved it to get more sun a couple of years ago and it is still a tiny little thing.
Your's looks great! Wish I could grow hostas in pots but I can't even grow petunias in pots, so maybe it's me.
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

I have one in a pot, and one in the ground. The one in the ground is beautiful, the one in the pot not. I forced the one in the pot, maybe it is tired. Andi, yours is gorgeous!
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

I got this from the Boyz I think three years ago, and had it in a gallon pot for a year, then got rid of whatever was in the current patio container, so I just grabbed the nearest hosta and shoved it in here. It turned out to be perfect! It was fairly small the first year, last year was decent but not really full... this year it is just putting on a great show! I LOVE the wavy gold leaves, and the flower scapes are so tall, they're almost up through the Jap. maple leaves next to it.

I'll have my Maya send out good vibes to all of you whose aren't growing well.... GROW! Grow! grow!

Andi
Andi
Joe

Post by Joe »

I have two and both are growing very well, but mine do not handle a lot of sun very well at all. I was really surprised, given that it supposedly can take a lot of sun. I moved the larger one to some morning sun and afternoon shade and it is doing much better.

Joe in CT
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

Well, here in the Seattle area our definition of a lot of sun is very different, I'm sure, than most of you LOL!. If we get over 80 degrees we all start to melt.

Andi
Andi
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Lovely hosta

PLEASE... put your zone and or latitude or seelevel on your ID... it is hard to understand/know/question your statements without :wink:

And talking pots... it is exentical :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

It is looking really nice!

Laura
Libby

Post by Libby »

Just gorgeous! And the pot is the perfect shape for it - wish I had better luck with overwintering pots. With me it's chancey at best.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Okay here she is.....bigger than I thought, too....but still ugly.....to me.... :oops: ....I have her in shade now, too been there since last year........it can't take our sun..... :x
Pic's 061.jpg
fenceberry

Post by fenceberry »

Your's is a giant compared to mine, LG. I don't know what happened to it, it's smaller than when I got it from the Boyz. Maybe I'll try moving it again, for the third time.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Okay then, I am sorry I said that......But I still think it sucks.....I remember that picture that they had for it in that auction.....Mine has NEVER looked like that.... :lol:
New Topic Post Reply