'Gypsy Rose' sport?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

'Gypsy Rose' sport?

Post by ViolaAnn »

This is my 'Gypsy Rose'. New last season to replace one that had HVX a few years ago. The owner of the nursery where I got it is very aware of HVX and buys only tested stock.

It was very slow to emerge this spring and some of the leaves look mangled, but look at the two large leaves on the one eye. Does this look like any known 'Gypsy Rose' sport? It should be interesting to watch.

Ann
Gypsy_Rose-0610-2sx.jpg
PS to Chris - Why does it say, in regard to photos, "Files should be less than 150kb" but it still rejects anything larger than 120kb? (My original picture file was about 131kb).
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Re: 'Gypsy Rose' sport?

Post by redcrx »

Hi Ann,

I have had Gypsy Roses for 3 years and they can throw out odd leaves that need watching.
Attachments
Gypsy Rose 09 b 0608b.JPG
Gypsy Rose 09 b 0608b.JPG (45.66 KiB) Viewed 1644 times
Gypsy Rose 09 0050b.JPG
Gypsy Rose 0921.JPG
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Another one:
Gypsy Rose 2009
Gypsy Rose 2009
The plants seem to throw off a few strange leaves each year. They are fun to watch.
Here's a bunch from an overgrown pot I picked up. The plant on the bottom right is not Gypsy Rose. It is Striptease with a lot of white. The "odd" one on the top right is a GR sport that has lost most of the dark margin.
Attachments
4 Gypsy Rore & Striptease & GR sport 2010
4 Gypsy Rore & Striptease & GR sport 2010
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

ViolaAnn wrote: PS to Chris - Why does it say, in regard to photos, "Files should be less than 150kb" but it still rejects anything larger than 120kb? (My original picture file was about 131kb).
Hi Ann,

Depending on the program and operating system you are using, the true file size might not be represented. Some programs won't count the file name and other file information towards the file size, so while the image alone might be saying 131kb the true size of the file must be higher once those other things are added. Some also imbed a thumbnail image to display in windows or on the mac desktop, and that takes up space.

Hope that helps to explain it.

Chris
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Oh, and yes, all of the Striptease family sends out a lot of sports. That's why we have so many different named sports from the Gold Standard family tree, but I don't know of any specifically from Gypsy Rose. Won't be long I imagine.

But be careful about these. The Dutch still advertise that they are selling plants from tested stock, but that hasn't slowed down the flow of virus coming from the Netherlands, and they are the ones propagating and selling Gypsy Rose these days.

Chris
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

There are two GR sports mentioned in the database - Let Me Entertain You, an all green hunk that I don't think is very entertaining the way ST family sports should be and Naked Lady which is really slow to grow (I think it lost out on the root growing genes when it sported).
Let Me Entertain You   2009
Let Me Entertain You 2009
redcrx

Re: 'Gypsy Rose' sport? -- Naked Lady

Post by redcrx »

Here are some shots of Naked Lady - the same plant 2009 and 2010. Not much difference and the rabbits have eaten half since this shot was taken.
Attachments
Naked Lady  2009
Naked Lady 2009
Naked Lady on left   and Obscene Gesture 2010
Naked Lady on left and Obscene Gesture 2010
Last edited by redcrx on Jan 14, 2013 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Here are some of what I'm watching. The first two pictures are the same pair of Gypsy Roses taken a year apart. The left one stays smaller and the flower stalk keeps the same smaller size.

The last picture is a close up of the one in the crate.
Gypsy Roses 2010
Gypsy Roses 2010
Gypsy Roses 2009
Gypsy Roses 2009
Gypsy Rose sport  2010
Gypsy Rose sport 2010
I have had the first two for three years now along with about 4 others. All came from the same source and he had had them for a while. I haven't seen any virus in them. The one bought this season came from the same source. I haven't seen any virus this season but I keep a close watch on them.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Here's another maybe sport on Gypsy Rose.
Attachments
Gypsy Rose s & 10 0526.JPG
Gypsy Rose s & 10 0527.JPG
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

It will be fun to watch what happens. The person from whom I bought it said she'd take it back in a heartbeat, but I think I'll keep it and watch it. Chris, thanks for the timely warning about HVX. Gypsy Rose is the ONLY one of this family which I own and I purchased it from someone who said her plants were all tested. My first one developed HVX 3 years ago and I was reluctant to get another for those very reasons. But last year I decided to try it.

Ann
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
New Topic Post Reply