Hosta of the day -'Warwick Curtsey' - post your pics

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Hosta of the day -'Warwick Curtsey' - post your pics

Post by ViolaAnn »

Also skipped over 'Warwick Curtsey'. Older variety, I think, I haven't seen it listed anywhere recently. Fast growing. I took a chunk out of this for division and you'd never know it.
'Warwick Curtsey'
'Warwick Curtsey'
prolific bloom on 'Warwick Curtsey'
prolific bloom on 'Warwick Curtsey'
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Phil_and_Gayle
USDA Zone: 5

Re: Hosta of the day -'Warwick Curtsey' - post your pics

Post by Phil_and_Gayle »

Here are my three "Warwick" hostas.
H. Warwick Curtsey
H. Warwick Curtsey
H. Warwick Choice
H. Warwick Choice
H. Warwick Comet
H. Warwick Comet
jgh

Post by jgh »

I think Warwick Curtsey is the ideal replacement for folks who like Golden Tiara but have issues with its not having very good substance. WC doesn't grow as fast as GT, but it is a good solid fast grower. I don't think it takes sun quite as well as GT, but it does keep its looks all season when some of the others start to look tired. If Golden Tiara had never been found, this would probably be a much more popular hosta.

Of course, I also believe that the name doesn't generate a lot of excitement. The "curtsey" part makes people think about how to spell it and the "Warwick" part of the name - well, L.G.Jones hybridized a lot of hostas that seem to have appeared in the early 90's. Jones was in Jackson, MI - close to the site of Hallson Gardens. In the day it was common to add a first name that told where things come from... Lakeside from Mary Chastain, Sea from Mildred Seaver, Paradise from Marco Fransen, Abiqua from Dr. Chuck Purtyman (Walden West)... but I think it was a wise marketing decision to change H. 'Abiqua Paradigm' to just H. 'Paradigm'... and H. ' Curtsey' might have sold better without the homage to Jones homeplace...
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Thank you for the historical commentary. I find the background knowledge to be of interest.

As far as light, mine gets quite a bit of morning sun as it's just west of my neighbour's driveway with nothing to shade it until the sun gets round to the oak tree that's maybe 15 ft south of it.
Ann
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Here's a pic from a few years ago. Following on Jim's excellent comments, I also think WC blooms better than many hostas.
Warwick curtsey.jpg
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

'Warwick Curtsey' continues to grow well. But this autumn I dug and divided it and moved it to a spot where I thought it would look better. In it's previous space, I put 'Patriot' to compliment 'Loyalist' which is behind.
'Warwick Curtsey', June 26, 2012
'Warwick Curtsey', June 26, 2012
leaf June 19, 2012
leaf June 19, 2012
Ann
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

2014 'Warwick Curtsey', in its new position, is next to 'Little Sunspot' which has roughly reversed colours. You can see a bit of it at the right. Picture from July 16, 2014.
Warwick_Curtsey-140716sx.jpg
Ann
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

2015 - July 03. I missed this one blooming this year as I was out of town, but I continue to enjoy seeing it next to 'Little Sunspot'.
Warwick_Curtsey-150703s.jpg
Ann
New Topic Post Reply