Daily Hosta - 'clausa var. clausa'

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Name: H. clausa var. clausa

Description: A dense, upright green mound which spreads by rhizomes. Leaf petiole is red-dotted.
Size: Medium
Origin: Korea
Flowers: Deep purple flowers which never fully open late in the summer. Leafy flower scapes.
Source: a neighbour, I think
Added to garden: I have no idea. Was probably my first hosta long before I knew what a hosta was.
Notes: Like moisture. Spreads freely by rhizomes so needs some control. However, it's a good one in trouble spots where nothing grows and the intense purple of the closed flower buds is very pretty.

Registry - not registered as of Nov. 2012
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/clausa+var.+clausa
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/c/clausavc.html
H. clausa var. clausa - one of my clumps in early August
H. clausa var. clausa - one of my clumps in early August
H. clausa var. clausa - still blooming Aug. 23
H. clausa var. clausa - still blooming Aug. 23
H. clausa var. clausa - Aug 9 Another clump which is quite happy in the DRY, shady spot between my driveway and a Linden tree. It also behaves here. You see one rhizome spreading out, but the conditions keep it in check.
H. clausa var. clausa - Aug 9 Another clump which is quite happy in the DRY, shady spot between my driveway and a Linden tree. It also behaves here. You see one rhizome spreading out, but the conditions keep it in check.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

While I do not have this particular form of clausa, I do have var. normalis. Big difference between the 2: on mine the flowers open! Always one of the earliest to flower for me, with that nice, rich purple colour.

It is as rhizomatous as Ann's form. I un-potted one this summer that seemed to be languishing and just look at the length of that rhizome!

Pieter
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

My clausa var.clausa is in too much shade and doesn't do anything. I do have var. normalis like Pieter and it grows great. I picked it up from Barry Yinger of Asiatica Gardens before he retired. The label was clausa normalis 'Jilin'.
clausa normalis --  7/18/2011
clausa normalis -- 7/18/2011
clausa normalis --  7/22/2011
clausa normalis -- 7/22/2011
clausa normalis (right) with seed pods  --  8/9/2011  --  with Get Nekkid (left) and Lakeside Love Affair (center)
clausa normalis (right) with seed pods -- 8/9/2011 -- with Get Nekkid (left) and Lakeside Love Affair (center)
Last edited by redcrx on Dec 13, 2012 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

W. George Schmid in his HL listing for this specie makes the following observation, and it's the only reference I can find with respect to 'Jilin':
H. clausa var. normalis Maekawa.
J. Japanese Botany, 13:898 1938.
Type: In TI; coll. T. Nakai, Kangwon-do Province. Hab. in provinces Kyonggi-do, Kangwon-do (1988 accessions by M. G. Chung), Hwanghae-do, Pyongannam-do, Hamgyongnam-do and Pyonganbuk-do, central and northern Korea. This is the diploid phase propagating by normal sexual means. Also in Liaoning and Jilin provinces of northeastern China. The Chinese populations are considered H. clausa var. ensata (H. ensata).
You may want to take a closer look at George's descriptions of the 4 varieties of this specie and see if yours is perhaps H. clausa var. ensata. Though it is hard to get a good comparison of the flowers in George's documentation, compared to mine yours seems to be quite a bit lighter in colour. While one of the pictures of var. ensata with scapes in bloom shows a pale purple, that could well be the particular photograph.

Pieter
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I do have a darker flower photo I'll post later - I'm on the wrong computer for pulling up the image.

( I always wonder about wandering away from the topic - sorry Ann.)

I need to pick up a normal normalis to grow side-by-side.
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
ViolaAnn

Re: Daily Hosta #1 - 'clausa var. clausa' - Add your pics

Post by ViolaAnn »

( I always wonder about wandering away from the topic - sorry Ann.)
I'm good as long as we still keep talking about clausa of some type.
Ann
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Here are some 2012 pictures.
'clausa var. clausa' in mid July. This one stays small as it's in a very, very dry part of my garden, next to the driveway and next to a tree. If the rhizomes spread farther than I wish, they are easy to remove.
'clausa var. clausa' in mid July. This one stays small as it's in a very, very dry part of my garden, next to the driveway and next to a tree. If the rhizomes spread farther than I wish, they are easy to remove.
This division is no more. It liked it altogether too well where it was and I laboriously dig it out and trashed it last spring. I've not planted anything permanent there yet as I'm sure I'll find rhizomes for awhile.
This division is no more. It liked it altogether too well where it was and I laboriously dig it out and trashed it last spring. I've not planted anything permanent there yet as I'm sure I'll find rhizomes for awhile.
leaf - June 19, 2012
leaf - June 19, 2012
Ann
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Going over some photos today I noticed this one (bottom/right) putting out a piece. There is a hunk under the Color Parade at the top of the photo (I know it's not really Color Parade any more).
clausa var. clausa - May 13, 2012
clausa var. clausa - May 13, 2012
ViolaAnn

Re: Daily Hosta - 'clausa var. clausa'

Post by ViolaAnn »

2014 pics. I have this in two spots. One is by my driveway where it is shady and dry. Nothing much grows there and clausa is kept under control.
Clausa2-140727sx.jpg
The other spot is north of a maple tree in the back yard. Too shady and dry and full of tree roots to grow much of anything except daylilies, violets and clausa. Here it grows larger and faster than along the driveway and that's just fine.
Clausa1-140708sx.jpg
Ann
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

2015 the same two plants as last year.

This one along the driveway grows quite slowly; so keeping rhizomes in check is quite easy. July 25.
Clausa1-150725s.jpg
The one in the back yard can keep right on growing though I've pulled out many of the violets in the midst of it. Aug. 13.
Clausa2-150813s.jpg
Ann
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

My clausa var. clausa is doing better since a pine tree in my neighbor's yard was snapped in a wind storm a few years age. Now the morning sun hits this garden.
Early in the season.
clausa var. clausa - May 5, 2015
clausa var. clausa - May 5, 2015
In flower
clausa var. clausa - July 23, 2015
clausa var. clausa - July 23, 2015
clausa var. clausa - August 10, 2015
clausa var. clausa - August 10, 2015
I decided to see what the interior looked like. The color is a lot darker than my clausa var. normalis 'Jilin'.
clausa var. clausa - August 8, 2015
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

2016 update - same two plants.
Division by the driveway - Aug. 21
Division by the driveway - Aug. 21
Division in back yard Sept. 9
Division in back yard Sept. 9
Ann
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

2017 update. Both photos in August.
Clausa-2017-0815s.jpg
Clausa-2017-0805s.jpg
Ann
New Topic Post Reply