Cordelia

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Mark Raw
USDA Zone: 9

Cordelia

Post by Mark Raw »

Can I ask if any one has had experience with this hosta. Last year I grew what was sent as a Patriot however it wasnt, it grew fast, looking for all the world like a narrow Queen josephine, shiny with yellow margin and streaking to centre on some leaves after a bit of searching I (maybe incorrectly) identified it as Cordelia, it looked rather nice and I was pleased with it. This year it has emerged and grown completely different. roundish green/gray leaves with a narrow sharp white margin, and not with the same vigour as last year. More like a Francee but a different shaped leaf with more substance. It is grown in a pot (as are all my plants) and is far too big to be a seedling, sorry I have no pics but did notice last year it had one leaf that looked like how I described it above. Wil it change as the season progresses to what it was last year or am I stuck with a chamelion of the hosta world. Any help to identify please
I also have a Patriot and a Minute man and they look nothing like the above mentioned hosta. Thanks for any assistance

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... y=Cordelia

MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Cordelia

Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/c/cordelia.html
boops
USDA Zone: 6b

Re: Cordelia

Post by boops »

Any photo of it? Did you check out the Hostallibrary.org? I find it very helpful.
My Hosta List

Do one thing everyday that makes you happy
Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

Sorry no photos and on Library mine looked exactly like that last year, but this year is completely different unless it changes later but somehow I cant see it. How strange :???:
boops

Post by boops »

That is strange-I could see a bit of color change due to the sun situation, but a change in leaf shape is weird. Maybe Chris from Hallson can help with that question. I am totally clueless on that one. :hmm:
My Hosta List

Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

So am I, ir's not like I have confused it either as all my plants are in pots and all labeled. :(
boops

Post by boops »

I read this on Hostas Direct website:
Less stable hostas can revert back to their original parents. If a solid green division appears in your clump, remove the division immediately so that the clump will remain a variegated plant.
My Hosta List

thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

A narrow leaf is normal on a young hosta, it will become broader / wider as it mature.

The color combo :hmm: Frosted Jade or try to seach the database on hostaparadise.com... advanced search... free search search for the color combo.

Have you looked at Frosted Jade ? Could be the hosta.
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

WOW I would like it to be Frosted jade will wait and see but may not have the room for Frosted jade if it is :eek:
Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

If anything it now looks like a young Barbara ann. I am confused :???:
rockNhostas
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by rockNhostas »

Here's my Frosted Jade.
Does this help any?
jgh

Post by jgh »

You know, Mark...

There are a lot of hostas in the Hosta Library and Hostapedia that are not available anywhere, and many more with limited distributions. This can make searching by looks pretty frustrating...

you said the plant was sent as Patriot but isn't. With a few exceptions, people who sell mailorder hostas usually have only certain cultivars grown to size and ready for shipping. Your best bet for identification is to contact the seller and tell them the situation. They might have the best idea of what plant could have been swapped for Patriot. Send them a picture as well. I think it would be a pretty rare catalog that would include Patriot, Cordelia, and Barbara Ann. Jim's is the only one I found.
Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

To be honest it's more so how the hosta has changed from what I took to be Cordelia to what now looks like a small Barbara ann will see what happens as the season progresses, mind the one I got at a garden centre marked as Liberty is a Queen Josephine (and yes I did know at the time, but it was on offer at 99pence).
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Here is my Cordelia this season - two normal pieces and one green piece. Two shots of the same space taken about 6 weeks apart. They are taken at different angles so the all green hunk of Cordelia is on different sides of the frame.
Here it's on the left.
Cordelia - April 22, 2012
Here it's on the right with a Striptease at the top of the frame covering one of the normal pieces. The all green piece is showing some white on some of the leaves.
Cordelia - June 1, 2012
Cordelia - June 1, 2012
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

My Cordelia in 2011 and 2012:
Cordelia - July 21, 2011
Cordelia - July 21, 2011
Cordelia - July 25, 2011
Cordelia - July 25, 2011
In 2011 the plant put out an all green sport. I took it off and planted it in the same area.
In this first 2012 shot you see the green piece on the left and two pieces of normal Coldelia.
Notice the small Striptease on the right.
Cordelia 12 0127zb-4-22.JPG (31.78 KiB) Viewed 3910 times
In this later shot the Striptease has "exploded" over one of the pieces of Cordelia. The green sport is getting big and shows a fragment of the original Cordelia.
Cordelia - June 1, 2012
Cordelia - June 1, 2012
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

A shot of the green sport going into flower:
Attachments
Cordelia green sport - July 26, 2012
Cordelia green sport - July 26, 2012
Cordelia green sport flower - July 26, 2012
Cordelia green sport flower - July 26, 2012
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Cordelia this morning - I really do have to get that huge green hunk out of there it is a separate plant.
Cordelia - May 9, 2016
Cordelia - May 9, 2016
EDIT - July 17, 2017
Looking at some old stuff I came upon this topic with a photo of Cordelia from 2008:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49999&p=439407&hili ... ne#p438872
New Topic Post Reply