Weedlings in the garden - are you saving some?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

boops
USDA Zone: 6b

Re: Weedlings in the garden - are you saving some?

Post by boops »

Chris with your nursery-you must have tons and tons of weedlings!!
My Hosta List

Do one thing everyday that makes you happy
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

This is a weedling that I gave a name awhile back. But it got too large for my garden and is now in the hosta garden at church. I think its parentage MIGHT be 'Great Expectations' as it was found nearby and the bloom is very similar and at the same time.

http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 659_c3tVbW

Sorry, I was hoping that link would take you to the enlarged picture, but it doesn't. Try the 3rd picture down - Amie Bleu
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

This has been fun seeing everyone's weedlings. Heck, several are worthy of being in a hosta catalog some day :lol:
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Chris, Do you think since these OP/weedlings as you put it have been started on their own verses planted in a special flat is why they are so hardy? I have found that those seeds that were just dropped on the ground in the fall are hardier then let's say some started in a flat in the greenhouse. I have some seedlings from what hummingbird sent me from what she wrote were stripped growing and I have some seedpods that I'm going to just put into the soil this fall. I find those that I started from John a few years ago in the greenhouse are really slow grown in flat and now just putting into the ground that were done in pots. The ones that were planted a few weeks ago have doubled in size, compared to what they have done in the pots these past few years. There is nothing wrong with OP plants as long as they are labeled this?
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
boops

Post by boops »

Here is my weedling i think off of Plantaginea-nothing interesting but very healthy and if it takes after its mama the flowers should be great.

My Hosta List

Esox
USDA Zone: 4

Post by Esox »

I've got three I like, two gold and one an interesting shade of blue, that came up next to Gold Regal. I consider them Gold Regal volunteers since the hostas on each side are Regal Splendor and Gold Standard. I've already replanted the gold ones (both brighter than Gold Regal) and am still trying to decide where to plant the blue one.

I figure it's kind of like planting OP seeds but you don't have to bother with planting them. Just wait and see what pops up. I've also got a couple of what I suspect are Abba Dabba Do volunteers that I"m going to have to do something with pretty soon. I did use pollen from one of them because I figured a green Abba Dabba Do is probably even more vigorous than the mother plant.

Got a lot of montana Aureomarginata volunteers and am eagerly awaiting a nice blue or gold one. Probably the most prolific at producing volunteers is Dick Ward and I'll just wait and see if any actually grows worth a darn.
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

I have found that those seeds that were just dropped on the ground in the fall are hardier then let's say some started in a flat in the greenhouse.
I'm wondering if that's because they are a year or so old already by the time we find or notice them. At least mine are because I cut most of my flower scapes OR collect the seeds.
Ann
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Here's another one that I like.  It's got a really strange green color and has nice purple flowers.   It's likely a Veronica Lake seedling.
Here's another one that I like. It's got a really strange green color and has nice purple flowers. It's likely a Veronica Lake seedling.
P1010007.JPG green volunteer May 09.JPG (61.49 KiB) Viewed 7086 times
Here it is in flower.  I've named it 'Tractor Boy' for our grandson who loves John Deere tractors.  This is probably as close to 'John Deere green' as any hosta is going to get.
Here it is in flower. I've named it 'Tractor Boy' for our grandson who loves John Deere tractors. This is probably as close to 'John Deere green' as any hosta is going to get.
This one is probably my favorite volunteer seedling.  I found it next to Blue Wedgwood, and that would be a good guess for the parent.  It's a very nice gray-green, with a lot of substance and nice leaf shape.
This one is probably my favorite volunteer seedling. I found it next to Blue Wedgwood, and that would be a good guess for the parent. It's a very nice gray-green, with a lot of substance and nice leaf shape.
P1010043.JPG vol blwdgwd leaf B May 26 09.JPG (39.85 KiB) Viewed 7086 times
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

This is the wide shot of the Blue Wedgwood volunteer.  I've named this one Rock'n'Roll Heart
This is the wide shot of the Blue Wedgwood volunteer. I've named this one Rock'n'Roll Heart
P1010040.JPG Vol bldwdgwd baby May 26 09.JPG (62.38 KiB) Viewed 7086 times
I really liked this blue volunteer, but the voles did a number on it this year.   I've got one eye left, and hope I can save it.
I really liked this blue volunteer, but the voles did a number on it this year. I've got one eye left, and hope I can save it.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

I really like that Blue Wedgwood volunteer! :)
Ann
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

Here are some from the center of my garden. These started in 2010 - many have faded over the years. I thought some may be from Elegans but there are Tokudama varieties in the area also.
Attachments
seedlings - May 13, 2014
seedlings - May 13, 2014
seedlings - May 13, 2014
seedlings - May 13, 2014
seedlings - May 13, 2014
seedlings - May 13, 2014
seedlings - May 13, 2014
seedlings - May 13, 2014
seedlings - May 13, 2014
seedlings - May 13, 2014
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

One really odd one in that cluster is kind-of yellow with curly tips.
seedlings - May 13, 2014
seedlings - May 13, 2014
seedlings - May 13, 2014
seedlings - May 13, 2014
seedlings - May 13, 2014
seedlings - May 13, 2014
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

This is from yesterday and now they are saying we may get frost tonight.

Big yellow from 2012 with some newer plain green ones in the bottom/left corner.
Yellow Weedling - April 22, 2015
Yellow Weedling - April 22, 2015
It's been shown here before in this topic. I think it's from Designer Genes - same flower.
boops

Post by boops »

I heard that also-crossing fingers. However none of my hosta are more than little pips except maybe one or two. So maybe not too much damage
My Hosta List

redcrx

Post by redcrx »

If they are getting good sun many are up. I had been cleaning leaves out of pots but I'm stopping that for a few days. Besides it's really chilly out today and I don't like to be under my pine trees when it's really windy - dead branches falling.
boops

Post by boops »

Agree-during the cold spell last month one of my huge pine trees fell and landed into one of my other pine trees (saved my roof) I already cleaned up all my leaves. I only have a couple of potted hosta. Our forecast is not below 32, they said 36 tonight.
My Hosta List

redcrx

Post by redcrx »

A couple more I have had around for a few years.

The first two flowered last year for the first time.
April 23, 2015
April 23, 2015
April 23, 2015
April 23, 2015
This last one is growing in shade with not much around it yet so it stands out.
April 23, 2015
April 23, 2015
harryshoe
USDA Zone: 6 E. PA

Post by harryshoe »

I just found this young specimen near Touch Of Class. I'm not even sure it is a hosta. If it were, I would be very happy if it resembled TOC in any way. TOC is my favorite hosta.

Touch Of Class last spring:

redcrx

Post by redcrx »

My big yellow one today.
Attachments
Yellow weedling - May 4, 2015
Yellow weedling - May 4, 2015
Esox
USDA Zone: 4

Post by Esox »

I was walking through the yard today, looking at all the hostas on their way up, and I made this mind-boggling observation... I have more volunteers than I do store-bought hostas. Some of them are better, too.

Almost all of the Gold Regal volunteers are better, either brighter gold or blue.
New Topic Post Reply