Pic of the Day--Summer Music

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Summer Music

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--As a variety, Summer Music has had mixed results in our garden. I bought my first Summer Music in 1999 and it slowly dwindled away to nothing, but it sure looked good in the process. So, with hope eternally springing, I bought another plant in 2001 and planted the second plant in the same spot, where it got a couple of hours of mid-day sun, and it did OK. In 2002 it was 16x7 and in 2003 it made it to 20x10. Then, in 2004 I moved it to its current spot where it gets about 4 to 6 hours of sun and it has found the place where it wants to stay. In 2004, in spite of being moved, it was 22x12 and in 2005 it was 24x10. Last summer it made it to 27x14. The question is: what is a mature plant's expected size? Zilis lists 41x18, Lemke's Data Base has it at 21x14 and Wade & Gatton say 24x15. Like most white centered varieties, Summer Music does tend to look tired by the end of the season but it is still a nice addition to the garden. Slugs have not been a problem but that may be due to a routine application of Deadline MP. The photos are from 2002 and 2005.
Attachments
Summer Music P62705c.jpg
Summer Music P62705c.jpg (48.41 KiB) Viewed 1760 times
Summer Music 6-24-02c 237.jpg
Summer Music 6-24-02c 237.jpg (44.03 KiB) Viewed 1760 times
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
MikeWI

Post by MikeWI »

it's a plant i'm always happy to see in a garden when it is doing well.
Mike
Milwaukee
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Nice one, Hank!! :P I'd say Zilis size listing is most likely the largest one he ever measured. I'm pretty sure I'll never have to worry about mine taking up 41" of space. :wink: I tried to find a pic of mine last year, but didn't find it.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
wzbt03

Summer Music

Post by wzbt03 »

I really like this hosta and can not find the picture of it either.
I looked really nice though.

I don't comment on all of the Hank but I really look forward to each and every one.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I'm thinking mine might grow more if I move it where it gets more sun. I found a pic from 05 and it looks like it is being overshadowed by hostas around it. :roll:
Attachments
SummerMusicFtCirBed6-21-05.jpg
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
jgh

Post by jgh »

Not one of my favorites... I'm not a great fan of white centered ones, and mine always gets damage from slugs, twigs, wind, etc. Still, I can understand the appeal to others. It has an interesting coloration - just not my favorite combo.

Zilis tells the history. SM is a 1998 registration (Roy Klehm). It's a sport from a recent POTD, Shade Master. I think SMusic's claim to fame is its multicolored foliage. Zilis says "Each leaf offered an attractive combination of a creamy white center and a border of pale to medium green with areas of gold in between." I think newly-emerging leaves are darker in shades, so it can have lots of different colors at one time.

My pics are of young plants... the SM one at least shows some of those multicolors.

Sports of SMusic include Last Dance, Lakeside Meter Maid, and Summer Breeze. I like both Last Dance and Summer Breeze... so far they appear to be pretty similar in my gardens. I like the song for LD better - it doesn't get stuck in my head for the whole day like SB does... but both good hostas!
Attachments
Summer Breeze rdcd.JPG
Last Dance smaller.JPG
W6 08 Summer Music closeup rdcd.JPG
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Here's a pic of half of my Summer Music from last year. It looks kind of small, but to put it in scale, that Blue Angel is about 7 feet across. The pic of SM by itself was taken in September or 05. I have moved several other really big hosta from this area in order not to disturb SM. It's happy in this spot, with maybe 1 1/2 to 2 hours of mid-day filtered sun.
jgh, did you have to bring up those darn songs? Although, on this cold and wintry spring day, a good summer breeze would be welcome. Maybe if the song stays in my head all day it will improve my mood. :roll:
Linda P
Attachments
Summer Music Sep 4 05.JPG
Summer Music Sep 4 05.JPG (42.42 KiB) Viewed 1689 times
Blue Angel, Summer Music June 18.JPG
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I found my Summer Music pic when I was looking for my DITR pic. :wink: Not a full pic of it & it wasn't very tall last year since it doesn't look much taller than Blue Mouse Ears in this pic.
Attachments
057 BlueMouseEars&SummerMusic.jpg
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Pic of the Day--Summer Music

Post by redcrx »

Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
paul_in_mn
USDA Zone: 4b

Re: Pic of the Day--Summer Music

Post by paul_in_mn »

Summer Music from 2011
Paul

Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow.
New Topic Post Reply