Pic of the Day--Lancifolia

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Lancifolia

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Today's plant is probably the most commonly used variety. The plant that most non-hostaholics call "the green one" is Lancifolia. It is a wonderful variety, early to emerge, late to go dormant, great slug resistance, very fast growing, does a decent job in sun or shade, prolific producer of blooms, nice mounding form, costs about $2 a pot full. Once, I divided a mature clump of Lancifolia for a friend and it produced 76 divisions. What more can you ask for in a plant? We have 20 or so Lancifolias and they are all very close to Zilis' listing of 44x19.

Registry - not registered as of Nov. 2012

MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Lancifolia

Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/l/lancifolia.html
Lancifolia 6-25-07c 051.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

As common as they are....I've never seen one in person. At least I don't think I have :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

This one was growing next door to my parent's house since I was a kid, so I had seen it but did not know it was a hosta. It didn't look like a hosta to me, because we had lots of Undulata Erromena, which I thought was "the green one".
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

:o You mean, there are more than ONE green one? :???:

:lol:
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

'Lancifolia'

Post by thehostagourmet »

Hank, do any of those 20 clumps have red petioles?

George
Arlene

Post by Arlene »

My next door neighbor's house was torn down last month (remember the January middle-of-the-night fire?). Before the demolition I checked to see if they were planning to rescue their perennials and they said no . . . so among the things I acquired: Several nice starter clumps of Lancifolia! They're growing nicely in a holding bed awaiting the trip to Tennessee.
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

George--I just very quickly walked past them and only noticed some red spots on two the plants. That makes me curious. Shouldn't all, or none, of them have the same characteristic?
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
batobin

Lancifolia Bee

Post by batobin »

Here is some pics I snapped of my lancifolia in bloom....just last week!!
100_3631.jpg
100_3631.jpg (51.98 KiB) Viewed 2618 times
100_3628.jpg
100_3628.jpg (49.12 KiB) Viewed 2618 times
batobin

Nothing.....

Post by batobin »

Nothing grows like a lancifolia!!! This one is a 3 year old division. An Amish friend found a bunch of them in a ditch on her farm and rescued them. She called me and gave me a bunch of them. As this was a gift, I felt obliged to plant them. She was so thoughtful to have called me and actually had to drive her cart to a neighbours to use the phone. I planted them in amongst my more 'unusual' hosta and I find they accent things beautifully. (I never told her they were common!!)

As a hosta collector I think that it is easy for me to have overlooked this one as common but now I am amazed at the graceful way it grows, the prolific blooms and the usefulness as a backdrop plant to others.
So graceful!!!
So graceful!!!
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Very pretty! Love the bee shot! :D
rufie98
USDA Zone: 6

Re: Pic of the Day--Lancifolia

Post by rufie98 »

Sorting through my photos and found this one. This Lancifolia has been in the same spot in my garden for many years. Even though it gets little sun, and I am sure its roots are entangled with cedar and tree roots, it is one tough hosta!

New Topic Post Reply