Sum & Substance

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Tritium
USDA Zone: 5A

Sum & Substance

Post by Tritium »

So I found these plants (and there are many more) at my local Civic Center. Can't believe I missed it as I walk by this way 4 times daily on my way to and from work. I'm thinking this is HVX but could it also be the tobacco mosaic virus? Wondering if I should let the groundskeeping people know about it with the off-chance that I may be labelled "that Crazy hosta guy" :P
Attachments
Quite Apparent
Quite Apparent
photo 1.JPG (35.47 KiB) Viewed 3436 times
Quite Apparent
Quite Apparent
photo 2.JPG (52.62 KiB) Viewed 3436 times
Beginning to Show
Beginning to Show
photo 3.JPG (43.15 KiB) Viewed 3436 times
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: Sum & Substance

Post by Tigger »

HVX is rampant in many commercially-grown Sum and Substance plantings. Very sad. There's even a disturbingly humorous thread on the AHS Facebook page today where virused S&S leaves took best in show at a county fair! (obviously not an AHS-sanctioned competition) The thing is, if they don't have anything else to plant there, and there are no other hostas nearby, what are they going to do? All you can do is educate them.

David
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Re: Sum & Substance

Post by ViolaAnn »

By all means educate them but don't expect anything to change. I've taken pictures of severely diseased hostas at a housing co-op in Ottawa, I've tried contacting them a couple of times with no response and so I just share the address with my hosta friends and invite them all to go see what a well developed case of HVX looks like.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
New Topic Post Reply