H. 'Robin Hood'

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Ludi
USDA Zone: 7a

H. 'Robin Hood'

Post by Ludi »

Hello Everyone,

I would like to start a thread to document hosta 'Robin Hood':

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... bin%20Hood
MyHostas - http://www.myhostas.be/db/view/Robin+Hood
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/r/robinhood.html

'Robin Hood' was new to me last year (from Hallson's, of course). It was one that I did not find well documented on the InterWebs, even though it was registered in 2000 and not, per say, a 'new' cultivar to the industry. But after seeing it in person, I was smitten. I personally think the subtle variegation is absolutely gorgeous, given the colors. I know this gets said a lot, but I can't wait for it to put on some size and really show me what it can do.

In saying all of this, I am ashamed at the pic I am about to link ... but it is the only one I have from last year with my 'Robin Hood' in it (it was a ruff year for pics all around). He's the lil guy in the front, inside the circle. The lighting is all off and the fact that it isn't a 'school picture' really bums me out when sharing, but I can't very well ask others to post pics without sharing one of my own, right ?

So please let my atrocious display inspire you to link your better one. :D

Thanks in advance !

Best,
Ludi :D
The only thing two Gardeners will ever agree on is what the other is doing wrong.

You won't know how to grow a plant successfully until you've killed it a few times.
tsbccowboy
Location: Apple Valley, Minnesota 44°43'39.50"N 93°14'52.40"W

Re: H. 'Robin Hood'

Post by tsbccowboy »

Ludi,

One of the things I like about gardening is the fact that, theoretically, the Hostas should be bigger next year.
I also like to "practice patience" knowing it will take years for some of the Hostas to get huge.

Like you, I like the subtle variegation of 'Robin Hood'.

Cowboy

Robin Hood
7/3/14, this was planted in 2008 but has been split
Ludi

Post by Ludi »

Cowboy, I admit, I was hoping you'd bite. :P

I love how you have him as a focal point among the lamium. Just, GORGEOUS !!!

The colors are really what steal me. The subtle nature of their dispersion adds a sense of mystery ... makes you look twice, almost.

Thank you for sharing. :D

Cheers,
Ludi :beer:
The only thing two Gardeners will ever agree on is what the other is doing wrong.

You won't know how to grow a plant successfully until you've killed it a few times.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I had a pretty nice Robin Hood, registered in 2000 by Jim Schwarz. I was smitten with the plant in his garden the first time I saw it. I love those subtle ones too. Mine, unfortunately, fell prey to a combination of drought and voles that cost me a few plants a couple years ago.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Don_in_Colorado
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Don_in_Colorado »

Hi Ludi,

Your plants look great! They look like they're begging you to put them in the earth :D

Cheers buddy,
Don B.
Ludi

Post by Ludi »

Thanks Don ! :D

Yes ... someday they will have the good life, in the ground ... but until then I slave to make sure they don't rot away in pots while I toil through countless design options.

Damn that OCD !!!!

:beer:
Ludi

New Topic Post Reply