A new addition...

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Pieter

A new addition...

Post by Pieter »

If you were to google Rhino Gold you'd end up with a bunch of links to jewelry design software, but if you looked around my humble yard you'd see this...

Registry - not registered
MyHostas - not in the Database
Hosta Library - not in the Hosta Library yet
Resize of P1130929_rhino_gold.JPG
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
dhaven

Re: A new addition...

Post by dhaven »

Very nice indeed. Thanks for posting, we all need yet another beautiful hosta for our wish lists!
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:beer:
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

Is it a gold form of Rhino Hide? And how old is it?
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Yes, it came from Don Rawson. That's all I can tell you right now, have no further details. Judging from the size of the leaves and the roots I'd say it's a division off a plant that's at least 5 years old. No doubt there's a 'Rhino Hide' connection, just not sure what.
Pieter

Pieter's Hosta List
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

It would appear as if there's a 'Rhino Hide ' connection, see Don's original post asking for name input on a different seedling of his that looks quite a bit like this one. He says about halfway through the thread that there is indeed an all-yellow sport of 'Rhino Hide' called 'Rhino Gold', the subject of this thread and if I'm not mistaken 'Rhino Hide' is not the fastest growing cultivar. Don didn't indicate an age for the plant this division was taken from, nor has he indicated whether or not this is in TC.
Pieter

Pieter's Hosta List
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

Should it be in the Index as Rhino Gold?
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

I'm waiting for a response from Don to give me some further clarification on origin, commercial status etc. But yes, it should be in the index as 'Rhino Gold'.
Pieter

Pieter's Hosta List
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

How did you get that across the border into Canada?
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

This is what Don says:

'Rhino Gold' is the all-gold TC sport of 'Rhino Hide'. I brought a couple home from Walters Gardens who had 'Rhino Hide' TC-ed. It is slow growing and lacks the superb substance of 'Rhino Hide', 'Rhino Blue', and 'Rhino Tuff' (other TC sports). Dr. Zonneveld tested 'Rhino Gold' and found that it is fully diploid (2-2-2). I don't plan to do anything with it...I have many much nicer gold puckered hostas in my trial gardens which are under evaluation.

So, that likely means this will not be in wide distribution at any time soon, so this will be a unique example. I'll be sure to post updates over the coming years...
Pieter

Pieter's Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I was wondering why this plant seemed to grow so well, since I assumed it to be tetraploid based on what Don has said about Rhino Hide in the past. Tetraploid plants are known for having very slow multiplication and growth rates, but this seems to be growing nicely so that explains it. Looks like a good plant to me, but I can understand why they would not introduce it.
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Chris, I'm anxious to see how it performs next year. It would have come from an in-ground growing scenario and as the picture clearly shows I have it in a 3 gallon pot. That drastic change impacts root growth and as a result of course overall growth. The new leaves it has grown since I've had it are all quite a bit smaller than the leaves it came with, and I expected that. It hasn't flowered as yet and so far have not seen signs of developing scapes, which I had not expected but by the same token I don't know what its flowering period is. I typically don't expect too much out of a new plant in its first year in my garden, I'm just happy it has shown growth. If it shows additional shoots next year I may be tempted to take a division and find a spot for it in one of the garden beds, but I'm jumping the gun here....
Pieter

Pieter's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply