Hosta Afternoon Delight

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
rufie98
USDA Zone: 6

Hosta Afternoon Delight

Post by rufie98 »

This hosta caught my eye at the Montreal Botanical Gardens. It's a High Noon sport, and the originator is Mark Zilis/L. Lombardo (2003). I gather it is not readily available. But it's a standout! Photo taken September 1, 2016.

Hosta Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.php?id=136
MyHostas Database - http://www.myhostas.be/db/hostas/Afternoon+Delight
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/a/afternoondelight.html
DSC05780.2H.jpg
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: Hosta Afternoon Delight

Post by Tigger »

I wonder if this could take the place of the patented/out of stock 'Goodness Gracious', for those who need this look (and everyone does). It's not patented, so anyone could send it back to TC. (Assuming it does well; the reason, so they say, that Walters will not produce GG again is that there were too many TC culls.)

David
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

That is very attractive! Yes, it would be nice to see this one on the market.

Walters has Afterglow still - at least for now - which is a wide margined Climax, and that is similar to this one. Goodness Gracious sure is a nice plant and it is too bad that they couldn't have put it into field production and sold it by division. Although that opens up other problems with pathogens being introduced when dividing, cutting back, and then boxing them up (too many of their field divisions suffer from different types of fungal and bacterial rot) it would at least mostly solve the problem of trueness.

Thanks for sharing this one rufie!
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

Isn't Sara's Sensation very similar. I have them growing near each other and they seem hard to tell apart. I see it's not in the index - I'll try to find photos.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Here's my Goodness Gracious from 2015:
Goodness Gracious - May 24, 2015
Goodness Gracious - May 24, 2015
And Sara's Sensation from 2013:
Sara's Sensation - May 30, 2013
Sara's Sensation - May 30, 2013
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

It's also reminds me of Glad Rags:
Glad Rags - July 18, 2014
Glad Rags - July 18, 2014
rufie98

Post by rufie98 »

Glad Rags does have a lot of similarity to Afternoon Delight. Looks like a lovely hosta. I believe that AD is a large and GR is a medium.

What I think is unusual about Afternoon Delight, is that the yellow margin is so intense for September 1st and for it being grown in dappled shade. Generally, I find that the yellow centered and yellow margined hostas need some sun to bring out the yellow. But Afternoon Delight doesn't seem to require this.
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

rufie - do you live in or near Montreal or were you just visiting? I have some pics from a visit a few years ago - must look to see it that variety was one of them.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
rufie98

Post by rufie98 »

I am afraid I was just visiting. I enjoyed Montreal very much and am hoping to return next year. If I do, I will definitely be going back to the botanical gardens. Let us know if you find a picture of Afternoon Delight from your visit. It would great to see it earlier on in the season.
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

I've got pictures of 35 different hostas from those gardens, including two "unknown" but unfortunately, not Afternoon Delight. I live close enough that I COULD get there again - probably should as it's been 4 years. Ottawa is about 2 hours by car.
Ann
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I keep planning a trip to Fort Ticonderoga and The King's Garden. And then heading into Canada to Montreal to see the gardens - one of these days. (And then head to Ottawa.) It would be part of a First Look trip.
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Do it, Ed! But maybe in summer. :lol:
Ann
New Topic Post Reply